Thursday, April 23, 2015

Stampin' Up! Grand Vacation Hawaii Blog Hop


G'day Peeps!

Happy Hawaiian Blog Hop to everyone passing through. . . it is such an exciting opportunity to be sharing our creations with friends and fellow achievers. Welcome!

You have probably just "hopped" over from the amazing Janet Wakeland's Blog. Thanks for stopping by!

This hop was created to celebrate our achievements in earning the 2015 Stampin' Up! Grand Vacation to Hawaii in May this year. It is so exciting, and a great privilege, to be part of this blog hop with such incredible business people and awesome crafters. The theme for the hop is "Hawaiian" which of course incorporates lots of colour, a bit of sun, sea and sand. . . the real challenge was finding stamps in our current range to fit the theme.  You will see that I have been a little creative in my application and technique!

I created three projects for the hop primarily because I was uncertain as to which ones fitted the theme best. One is definitely Hawaiian (because I stamped the word "aloha" lol) and the other two are possibly every other occasions cards but incorporate the colour and style that we Aussies associate with the 50th State in the Union!

Here's the first card:
Colours are Bermuda Bay (suggestive of clear turquoise oceans), Crumb Cake (for the sand) and Daffodil Delight (for sunshine and happiness).  The Burlap Ribbon has been frayed a little to add texture and the suggestion of rustic fabrics and hula skirts.
I stamped the veined flower from Beautiful Bunch on Simply Pressed Clay, allowed it to dry a little, fussy cut it out and then shaped the petals without compromising the stamped texture and detail. I then coloured the flower with an aqua painter and the following Classic Stampin' Ink Pads: Daffodil Delight, Tangelo Twist and Rose Red starting with the lightest colour through to the darkest. Next I painted back over the whole lot in Daffodil Delight to merge the colours.

Crystal Effects is why the flower is so glossy. The leaves are from Kinda Eclectic, stamped in Mossy Meadow on Whisper White (for a bit of pop and balance from the intensity) and fussy cut. The pearl is to marry in the white highlights and break up the concentrated colour.
The sentiment is embossed in Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder using the words from Hello Life. I wanted the words to be evocative of how much we all enjoy what we do and love sharing it with others.

Next card:
Base card is Old Olive, mounted with Whisper White which I treated as a blank canvas.  Because we have no palm tree stamps or anything really redolent of a beach except sea shells, fish, ships and cocktails. . . I had to be creative. So I have used the following stamp sets:

Build a Bouquet (because I like to use stamps in ways that are different and unusual)
Sheltering Tree
Work of Art (an awesome and versatile stamp set)
Simply Serif Mini Alphabet
Palm fronds are from the Build a Bouquet set stamped in Mossy Meadow and Old Olive. Palm tree trunk is stamped in Baked Brown Sugar using the "long brush stroke" from Work of Art. The sand is the "smudge" stamp from Sheltering Tree. I then "embossed" the stamped images with Crystal Effects.

I made the sun mask with the 1¾” Circle Punch and a post it note. the sky and water were generated by sweeping the colour across the page with a dauber. Same colours as for the clay flower above - Tangelo Twist, Daffodil Delight and Rose Red. The water is Island Indigo.

Gotta love the Simply Serif Mini Alphabet for exactly this kind of project - stamped the word in Versamark and heat embossed with White Stampin' Emboss Powder.

Final card:
After all that excess I wanted to show that I could do "simple" lol. So here is a card that is the complete opposite of the other two. . .

Base card - Sahara Sand, mounted with Whisper White and another piece of Sahara Sand.  The flowers are from Flower Patch and heat embossed with White Stampin' Emboss Powder.  I then stamped the centres with Sahara Sand using the smaller complementary flower stamp from the same set ~ I wanted the suggestion of shadow reminiscent of frangipanis. . .
The sentiment is from Hello Life again - I really love the size of the words and their meaning. the sentiment is stamped in Sahara Sand.

I hope you have enjoyed my interpretation of the theme and that you have some additional ideas for your coming projects.

Don't leave us yet though. Next stop is BJ Peters!


             

Thanks for stopping by. . .

Aloha
Shanni xx

PS Why not visit the other Grand Vacation achievers blogs that are part of this blog hop:

Blog Hop List

1. Brian King  
13. Dena Rekow 
15. Alisa Tilsner  
16. Tami White 
18. Bec Ross 
19. Ann Craig 
 26. Betty Button 

25 comments:

  1. All your projects make me smile! I especially love the way you made that palm tree! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Three projects - you have been a busy woman. I love them all my favourite is the last card - it is so simple and stunning. Can't wait to have some fun in the sun with you guys in Hawaii! Not long now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok now I need to revisit my pressed clay. Awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! They are all so gorgeous it's hard to pick a favourite! Congrats on your achievement. Can't wait to catch up next week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cards are all so creative, using interesting techniques on each of them. I really love the first one with the clay flower. Have to try making one myself. Aloha to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have your clay shell you made for us last year hanging on my wall! Love your work and can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute projects Shanni, every one is so creative, thanks so much for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shanni, these cards are amazing! I love that shiny flower!!! See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous , bright and happy - your cards and you! Love your colour choices in all the cards and it is so fun to see so many techniques used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three amazing, beautiful projects! All equally as stunning. I love how you use pressed clay, you're so talented. Thanks for your friendship, love and support Shanni. Love you, Lou xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love every one of your creations Shanni! That Pressed Clay flower is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever projects! And you rock that clay! Actually thought of you when I saw it was retiring.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shanni, not one, not two, not three, but FOUR amazing cards! Love them! The "happy" sentiment is perfect for this tropical getaway! So looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very Pretty Projects. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE LOVE the pressed clay flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the vibrant colours in your sunset card. Such a creative way to use our stamps in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh so pretty projects, Shanni! See you soon in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All I can say is AEWSOME, AWESOME AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, your projects are amazing and you are a wonderful talented artist, I look forward to meeting you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not 1, not 2 but 3 amazing creations! (Now I'm sounding like The Count from Sesame Street). I love them all, but most especially the beautiful shiny flower. You're such an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  21. three cards! you out did yourself! time to relax in hawaii! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the pressed clay flower!! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love them! Great bright happy colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations to you! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's impossible to decide which card is my favorite. They are all brilliant. I'm looking forward to meeting you in Hawaii! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni