Saturday, October 29, 2016

Totally Techniques - Ombre Effect



Hello again blog hoppers! Welcome to another Totally Techniques hop- this month we are highlighting ombre technique and here is my card:
You have probably just hopped across from Marine's beautiful blog, she is such a talented stamper.

Its that time of year when we can't get enough Christmas cards and this is made for a friend of mine in the USA who won't be with family at this crazy time. My card is 6" square heavy Whisper White card stock mounted with a slightly smaller square of Night of Navy card stock. The stamped square is also heavy Whisper White as it is better to water colour directly onto than the lighter card.
I loved Merry Mice as soon as I saw it and was coming up with a heap of ideas to watercolour and emboss it. So here I have embossed in black emboss powder. The sentiment is from Greetings from Santa (also heat embossed in black).
My colouring was not as good as it could be and I was a little impatient which resulted income leeching of colours but you get the effect lol. The mouse is coloured with Smokey Slate and Blushing Bride and the turtle neck is in Real Red. The leaves are Garden Green. The Christmas bauble I have treated as a little light as such and colours in Real Red and I coloured some rhinestones with a red Sharpie pen to make it seem as if it is illuminated. I used an aqua painter.
The background is where my ombre technique comes in - I have tried to watercolour from dark at the top to lighter at the bottom. I used Night of Navy and an aqua painter. I then stencilled some stars from the Hearts & Stars Decorative Masks with Craft Whisper White ink and a dauber. I wanted the subtle reference to the red white and blue of the USA. And the stars marry in perfectly with the little star on the mouse's tail.
Hope you have taken some inspiration and enjoyed our hop this month!

Be sure to stop by our next blogger the inspiring and talented Nadine Weiner

Until next time,
Shanni

Order of Blog
Shannean Moncrieff (that's me)

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! Love your little mouse, the ornament is just perfect and the stars on the background turned out great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWZA my friend, that is such a cute little card. Perfect colour combination and I love the ombre background you created.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni