Saturday, February 25, 2017

Totally Techniques - Reflection Technique

Wow! How incredible are the projects this month? I just love this technique!

Welcome to the Totally Techniques Design Team February Hop - Reflection Stamping. . . wasn't Shelagh's project beautiful?

I am always astounded at how creative our team is and how different every project is. Shows that we all see the possibilities of stamps differently. Here's my creations this month:
And because I wasn't as happy with the card as I had hoped to be I created another card with a different set. . .
I hope you take some inspiration from one of them at least. So they will be referred to as the motorbike card and the lighthouse card. . .

The motorbike card is a square card - 6" x 6" Smokey Slate, Mounted with a square of Basic Black and the stamping is undertaken on a square of Whisper White. I wanted the scene to look like a rider had left his motorbike on the side of the highway post rain to check out the view - the card is from the rider's perspective.
I used the following stamp sets:

In the Meadow
One Wild Ride
Lovely as a Tree
Sheltering Tree
High Tide

I stamped the bike from One Wild Ride in Tuxedo Black Memento ink, I stamped the reflection of the bike using Basic Grey. I stamped the bike on a piece of window sheet/acetate and applied it directly beneath the image of the bike. I wanted the reflection to be a mere suggestion and for it to be directly on the wet "road".
The bare tree on the front right is from Sheltering Tree - Stamped in Tuxedo Black Memento - you will see that I needed to leave a little gap between the base of the tree and where the "road" starts I accomplished this by masking the area below the stamped image.The reflection is stamped in the same ink in the same manner as the bike.
The tree line from Lovely as a Tree was stamped a little above the other images to give the suggestion of diminishing horizon and perspective. Again I stamped in Tuxedo Black Memento ink and again I masked the area on the grass so that the tops of the tress would reflect on the road.
In the background I stamped the mountain ridge from In the Meadow in Night of Navy. I masked the bike so that it wasn't smudged by the other stamps. I water coloured the mountains in Night of Navy and Always Artichoke using an aqua painter. The foreground is water coloured in Always Artichoke and Old Olive using an aqua painter.  I stamped the grass image from High Tide in Always Artichoke ink.
The road is done with a sponge and Smokey Slate ink. I did the sky the same way. I then came back in with some Baja Breeze ink using an aqua painter to give the suggestion of water on the road and the sky clearing after a storm. The birds in Tuxedo Black Memento Ink are from High Tide. I pulled apart some thick Black Bakers Twine for the feature across the bottom of the card because it was too thick.

The lighthouse card was so simple. It is an extra large rectangular card that I plan to give a friend to recognise all of his hard work over the past 6 months.
The base card is Basic Black and it measures 5" x 8 1/4"when closed. I then mounted a rectangle of Real Red on top of that and the card that I stamped on is Whisper White.

I stamped the light house in red first. High Tide is a two step stamp set, the detail on the light house is stamped in Smokey Slate.  The reflection is masked slightly to accommodate the foreground.
I stamped across the reflection using the water stamp from the set - I love how this stamp image can be layered and overstepped. I used Smokey Slate and stamped off for the water closer to the lighthouse and left first generation ink for the image in the foreground to the bottom of the card.
The island is stamped in Basic Grey Ink and over stamped in Tuxedo Black Memento ink. I did the same for the little island in the background. The grass from the same set is stamped in Always Artichoke.
The birds were stamped in Basic Black and I contemplated reflecting them in the water but knew that I was covering it with the sentiment. Once I had done all the stamping I came back over the card with Baja Breeze using an aqua painter to suggest the blue sky and of course the calm blue water hence the reflection.
I didn't like the look of bakers twine across this card so I used a piece of house and garden hemp twine from my kitchen. Kind of wanted the suggestion of rigging rope. The sentiment is stamped in Tuxedo Black Memento ink on Whisper White, mounted on Real Red and double mounted on Basic Black. I dimensionalised the whole thing so that it sits square over the hemp twine.

Hope that you got some ideas and now I would love it if you would check out Nadine Weiner's project. As always Nadine's card is amazing! 
Until next time, stay out of sticky situations.

Cheers
Shanni xx


Order of Blog Hop
Patrice Halliday Larsen (New Zealand)
Amy Koenders (United States)
 Shannean Moncrieff (Australia) that's me!
Nadine Weiner (Germany)
Zoe Tant (United Kingdom)
Barbara Meyer (Austria)
Mathilde Kortekaas (Netherlands)




4 comments:

  1. Two beautiful works of art.... love both of these cards. Great job on the reflections. ! Two of my favorite things, mountains and ocean. The lighthouse is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, awesome cards Shannean! I love them both, you've showcased the technique perfectly! Fantastic stamping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW WOW WOW what amazing scenes you have created. I love them both. Zx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your reflection technique cards! So detailed and perfect! TFS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni