Thursday, January 11, 2018

Fancy Folds - Shadow Box Card

 
Happy New Year and welcome back to another Fancy Folds Design Team Blog Hop. It's hard to get my stamping mojo on after a couple of weeks' break, I hope you have had time for crafting or some other relaxing pursuit.  This month we are doing Shadow Box Cards and you have possibly just stopped by from Satomi's incredible blog! Satomi is so incredibly talented.

This is my first project:
I followed the amazing Linda Bauwin's YouTube tutorial for this simple and dramatic card.

I suppose you have already worked out that the card is a 6" x 12" piece of Whisper White card that I cut in halves. I scored the whole sheet first before cutting because I am lazy like that lol. I lined the rear piece of card stock with a rectangle of the Sweet Soiree Specialty Designer Series Paper (obviously I took into account the scored sides and the fact that this made the back narrower.
I cut out the Scalloped Edge Oval on the front of the card from the Layering Ovals framelits. I then cut a void from a rectangle of Calypso Coral card using a plain edged oval framelit from the same pack. BTW I kept the oval that I cut and plan to use it on a future project! I adhered the Calypso Coral card to the back of the front piece of card so that it framed the cut out area and married in with the DSP in the back of the card.
To accomplish the colouring of the flowers I approached them in a backwards order. I coloured some Whisper White card stock with the Light and Dark Calypso Coral Stampin' Blends. Then I stamped the flower images from Perennial Birthday in Versamark Ink and heat embossed with Silver Stampin' Emboss Powder. The reason I did this is because the Stampin' Blends tend to compromise the heat embossed images if you colour them after you have stamped and embossed the image. I coloured the leaves (with Dark and Light Old Olive Stampin' Blends) after the heat embossing because the space was more accommodating. I fussy cut the flowers.
I stamped the other leaves and flowers from the Perennial Birthday set in Old Olive and Calypso Coral directly onto the card front. The words "amazing" and "you" have been cut from Calypso Coral and Silver Foil Sheets respectively using the Celebrate You Thinlit Dies from the Sale-a-bration catalogue! I can tell already that these are going to be some of my favourite thinlits.
This is a photograph from above so that you can see the DSP on the back of the card and the positioning of the "you" greeting inside the card. And you can also see quite clearly why it's called a shadow box fold.
Here's a photo from a different angle that gives another perspective on the shadow box aspect.

Because I was conscious that other card folds are called shadow box I also did a project following the incredibly talented Julie Edwards YouTube tutorial. I followed her instructions to the tee!
My base card in this instance was Calypso Coral and I used the same design of the Sweet Soiree Specialty DSP and an additional piece which is on the Marina Mist background for the flowers at the front of the card (which I fussy cut).
I stamped the cake from the Cake Soiree stamp set in Smokey Slate on Whisper White, coloured the flowers in Stampin' Blends - Light Pink Pirouette, Light and Dark Calypso Coral, Light Pumpkin Pie and Light and Dark Old Olive.
I then shaded the edges of the cake using an aqua painter and Calypso Coral direct from the ink pad. The Happy Birthday greeting on the top is stamped in Smokey Slate.
Of course I fussy cut the cake out and then I dimensioalised the cake on the DSP background with double dimensionals. The fussy cut DSP is adhered with glue dots to the front of the frame.  Because I thought that the card would be awkward to write onI adhered a square card with the exact dimensions to the rear of the shadow box.
I mounted the card with a square of the Sweet Soiree Specialty Designer Series Paper with the Marina Mist background. I then cut out the word "celebrate" with the Celebrate You Thinlits dies in Silver Foil card.
This gives you some perspective on the card from the front side.
Internal view. Stamped the rose and solid leaf from the Cake Soiree set. The rose is stamped in Smokey Slate, coloured with Light Pink Pirouette and Light Calypso Coral and the leaves are stamped in Old Olive ink.
I hope you have gotten a little inspired to check out the new Occasions Catalogue and perhaps consider investing the requisite spend to earn the fabulous and versatile Sale-a-Bration thinlits for free!

Don't leave us yet because you need to check out the awesomely talented Tanja Kolar who always blows me away with her projects.

Until next time! Stay glittery
Shanni xx

Order of January Blog Hop

1.Gina Connor(UK) 
2.Martha Inchley (Canada) 
3.Satomi Wellard (Japan) 
4.Shannean Moncrieff(Australia) 
5. Tanja Kolar (Germany) 
6.Aude Barbara(France) 
7.Miranda Mols(Netherland) 
8. Astrid Hofman(Austria) 


4 comments:

  1. First card is great but the second - WOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanni, wow wow WOW!!! Your cards are stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannean, both cards are really gorgeous. They took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow Shanni - I like the first one a littlelittle bit more, but they are both so elegant, love them

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni