Saturday, November 26, 2016

Totally Techniques - Resist Technique


Can you believe that Christmas is less than a month away? This year has literally flown by, thanks for joining us for another Totally Techniques Blog Hop - this month we are doing "resist technique" and I am sure that you already have some incredible ideas. How amazing is Amy K's creation? Amy always has such beautiful work that I am a bit nervous following on from her. . .this is my creation for the month:
I wanted to do a thanksgiving card given that our American friends are celebrating this annual holiday and I wanted the colours to be reminiscent of fall as that is the season in the northern hemisphere and of course I couldn't resist using leaves for this technique (pun intended).

So the base card is Basic Black mounted with a square of Copper Foil card stock. I then mounted another square of Basic Black and the "orange" canvas is actually a square of the Fancy Frost Specialty Designer Series Paper from the Holiday Mini Catalogue.
I have sponged the Fancy Frost DSP with Pumpkin Pie ink - the paper is embossed on one side and de-bossed (or impressed) on the other. I have sponged the side that is embossed ~ the raises leaves pick up more ink than the flat areas which "resist" the ink. You will see that I have also stitched a few areas around the perimeter with black cotton to tie in the leaves and other features. I love this DSP as it adds texture to projects and can provide a completely different focal point.
The leaves from Vintage Leaves are heat embossed using Memento Tuxedo Black Ink and Clear Embossing Powder and Versamark on Whisper White card stock. I then saturated the leaves with water in a spritzer then dropped ink onto the card wth reinkers in Pumpkin Pie, Always Artichoke and Real Red, the water dispersed the ink, but the areas which were heat embossed resisted the ink colours. I fussy cut the leaves after they had thoroughly dried. The colour faded out of them significantly.
Sticking with the "stitching" theme I used the stitched framelit in the smallest square to cut a rectangle of Basic Black card stock and then heat embossed the sentiment from Paisleys & Posies in the Copper Stampin' Emboss Powder to marry in with the theme. I also cut some of the paisley flowers in the Copper Foil card using the Paisley Framelit Dies.
I used Gold Metallic Thread for housing behind the central leaf which is dimensionalised whilst the other leaves are stuck flush with the DSP. The sentiment is also raised with double dimensional. I wanted the housing to provide some relief between the leaves, add a touch of bling and texture to the layout.
Inside the card I mounted a square of Whisper White card stock on a square of Basic Black and a square of Copper Foil card. I like the added weight and it gives the whole card a luxurious feel. I also stamped the inside with the Vintage Leaves image in Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
I love the leaf images in this set - they are rustic and ageless. They are brilliant for every type of card and are versatile for males and females.
I hope that you have taken some inspiration from my "resist" technique and that you consider using the Fancy Frost Specialty DSP - it is great for any project, white on white or as I have used it where it can take on any colour for a project. The designs become more pronounced when ink is added and the pattern resists colour.

Don't leave us now check out Nadine's blog, she is always so creative and talented! I love her project this month!
Until next time
Shanni xx

Blog Order
Shannean Moncrieff (that's me)

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Love the stitching and your background is beautiful! Great design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome design Shannean. Love the colours and how you have mixed them. Works so beautifully on the fancy frost paper. Zx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I am always excited to hear from visitors and take inspiration and joy from the messsages left.
Cheers
Shanni